No one knows exactly why the BBLLC was dissolved. But by 1918 weather patterns had returned to the more normal dry conditions and farming operations were much more difficult than they had been when there was plenty of rain. At any rate, A.S. Holmes stayed on at Long Hollow and continued ranching. His children attended elementary school locally, but had to board in Redmond for their high school years. Young Priday took part in local agricultural activities with his parents, and the Holmes family was quite well known in central Oregon.
An interesting period in the history of Long Hollow Ranch included the annual cattle drives. Ranchers from well east of here would bring their herds as far as Long Hollow to “overnight”. Then Long Hollow’s cattle would be added to the herd and all were driven on foot by horseback through Camp Polk, just north of Sisters, all the way to the regions of South Sister, Broken Top and Sparks Lake. The cows and calves spent all summer there feeding on the lush grass. In early fall, when snow began to fall in the mountains, the cows would start back home; — they knew the way. The cattlemen would arrive on horseback, round up the stragglers and do the same trip they had taken in spring, but in reverse. Ranch wives provided food for the men on these drives with the use of a camp trailer.
In the early 1960s the cattle drives were discontinued. The grazing permits now required that the cattle be hauled by truck to and from the range, and this mode became much too expensive for the ranchers.
A.S. Holmes died at the ranch of accidental poisoning in 1932. His widow Ida and son Priday stayed on and worked the ranch. Priday married Catharine Prideaux, a nurse from Portland, in 1936. They had two sons, Stewart and John, who attended the Lower Bridge School at the corner of Holmes Road and Lower Bridge Road. In time electricity and running water were brought to the ranch house.
At its height the Long Hollow Ranch consisted of 3300 acres with 330 acres irrigated. Ida remained at Long Hollow until her death in 1958. Priday and Catharine sold the ranch in 1963 and moved to Redmond, where they lived until Priday’s death in 1989. Catharine lived until 1996.
The ranch had passed through several owners and had fallen into significant disrepair before the current owners acquired it in 1984.